Monday, January 26, 2009

Allen Iverson = Penny Stock ... Worse Than Rafer Alston?

Since I acquired him, Iverson has put up the following #s in 10 GP:

57-132 from the field (.432), 4 3s (0.4), 44-65 FTs (.677), 21 rebounds (2.1), 42 assists (4.2), 13 steals (1.3), 2 blocks (0.2), 162 pts (16.2), 20 turnovers (2.0)

The rebound #s are terrible, the free throw percentage is awful ... he's scoring less than ever (he was over 18 ppg when I made the deal) and his assist and steal #s hardly compensate for it.

Now take a look at what Rafer Alston has provided over the past three games:
19-39 from the field (.487), 8 3s, 8-10 FTs, 16 rebounds (5.3), 26 assists (8.7), 3 steals, 7 turnovers, 54 pts (18.0)



Granted, Rafer is a very streaky player -- I rode one of his hot waves in December and promptly dropped him. But there is a distinct possibility that Iverson will not even crack my starting lineup now that Monta Ellis is back. I'll likely be using the following lineup:

PG: Rondo (It seems like he's just short of a triple double every other game)
SG: Ellis
G: Parker
SF: Pierce
F: Green
PF: Jefferson
C: Howard
UTIL: Alston
UTIL: N. Robinson

Once Marion returns to health, either Alston or Robinson would be dropped from the lineup. Iverson almost becomes an afterthought -- the 11th man on this roster.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a researcher, reporter and conference producer with experience spanning the aerospace & defense, biopharma, chemical, consumer electronics, energy, homeland security, human resources and IT markets.

In January I rejoined Worldwide Business Research, where I serve as program manager for Consumer Returns, SCMchem and the Digital Travel Summit.

I have an M.S. in science and medical journalism from Boston University (Dec 2008) and did my undergraduate work at Indiana University, majoring in journalism and political science (May 2001). After interning for the Chicago Tribune as a collegian, I landed my first real gig in the Windy City: I was a senior technology writer for I-Street magazine (Sept 2001-Feb 2003). I covered nanotech and biotech startups. From March-November 2003, I worked for a newsletter publisher (Exchange Monitor Publications) in DC, covering congressional hearings, the NRC & DHS.


Sally Lightfood Crab